Put your business on the map with Google Places for Business
Have you wondered why you cannot control the Write a Review feature on your Google map location?
Have you wondered why other businesses are listed on a Google map on the first page of local search results?
Do something great for your business today and sign up for a FREE listing in Google Places for Business.
What Are Google Places?
Google Places are official business listings, ordered by phone number and address, on Google Maps. Your Google Places profile is like a yellow pages listing on the internet. When local searches are conducted for your business, Google Places listing are in the first pages of search results. Claiming your place will allow you to create a profile with your logo and official company information.
Why Should You Claim Your Place?
Claiming your Google Place is a simple and free process. There are a few reasons why you should do this.
- Improved exposure for search engine traffic.
- Ensures that Google contains correct information about your business.
- Allows customers to easily create step by step driving directions.
- Invites customers to leave reviews about your business.
- Allows you to add details, pictures and video links to your listing.
- Gives you a competitive advantages over other, unclaimed listings.
Here is a sample search result for “prince edward county wineries”. Notice the wineries that have claimed their Google Places.
How to Claim your Google Place
Here are step-by-step instructions for how to add your business information to Google Places:
- Visit Google Places. google.com/placesforbusiness
- Read the Google Places quality guidelines and local listings content policy prior to creating your listing. See Google Places guidelines
- If you already have a Google Account, sign in with your email and password. You can also use an AdWords login address and password, if you have one. If you don’t have a Google Account, you can sign up for a free account.
- On Google Places homepage, click Add new business.
- Enter your business information.
On the “Find your business” tab, search for your business by phone number to see if Google already has information about your business.
Select the country of your business location from the drop-down.
Enter the phone number of your business listing.
Click Find business information.
Review the search results, if any, to see if one of them describes your business.
If none of the results are related to your business, you will be prompted to add business information on the Edit Details page.
If none of the results is your business, click Add a new listing. You’ll be prompted to add more information on the next page.
Fill out the basic information about your business. This includes:
Hours of operation
Photos: You can add up to 10 photos to your listing.
Video: To add a video, upload it to YouTube and copy and paste the URL to your Places listing. You can add up to 5 videos to your listing.
Additional details: Use this section to add custom information fields to your listing. For example, parking availability, or whether your business allows pets.
You can preview your listing as it will appear in Maps on the right side of your screen. When you’re finished editing your listing, click [Submit] at the bottom of the page.
6. Choose how you would like to verify your listing and click Finish.
7. Once you’ve submitted your business information, you’ll be asked to verify it before it goes live.
PIN Verification is required to confirm that the person claiming and verifying the listing through Google Places is actually the business owner or an authorized representative of the business.
A PIN, also known as a verification code, is sent to either the business address or the business phone. The business owner then enters the PIN into the Google Places account. Once the listing has been verified, the listing will appear on Google.
For further information, see http://support.google.com/places/
Anne VanVlack is the owner of InfoLink Interactive Media and Prince-Edward-County.com, The County’s official tourism website. Since 1996, Anne has provided local business with websites that work.